3D Scanner Buying Guide 2019
Which 3D scanner is the best for me?
3D scanning can be used in very various fields. For every application, the features necessary to generate a great 3D model are different. The 3D scanner must be chosen in function of the desired use and results. For example, criteria of choice will not be the same for a professional 3D scanner than for a entry-level 3D capture solution. What will be the perfect 3D scanner for a person will depend on many factors such as:
3D scanning field of application
First thing to take into consideration is the field in which the 3D scanner will be used. It could be for example:
- 3D scanning small objects, dentists, jewelers and other professionals can use 3D scanning to capture small pieces.
- 3D scanning big objects, professionals such as architects and archeologues might need to 3D scan large objects such as statues, archeological fields or buildings.
- 3D body scanning, is getting increasingly used in various professional fields such as healthcare and 3D figurines making. Read more on our 3D body scanning page.
- 3D scanning objects occasionally: a person might need to use 3D scanning on rare occasions or maybe just one time.
- 3D scanning objects on a regular basis: individuals can use 3D scanning for various things from making personalized objects to 3D scan themselves to make memories.
Type of 3D scanned object
Dimensions and distance of the object
- The recommended 3D scanner will change depending on the dimensions and the distance of the object to be 3D scanned. A desktop 3D scanner can’t 3D scan a 2-meter-tall statue, and a handheld 3D scanner might not be the best option to 3D scan a very small and precise piece.
Surface of the object
- Not every 3D scanner is able to capture the attributes of an object’s surface, such as color and texture.
- All 3D scanners do not offer the same resolution capacity. Therefore, depending on the wished quality result, some 3D scanner models are more adapted than others.
3D scanner recommendations
- Desktop 3D scanners can be destined to professionals and individuals willing to capture a small piece in 3D.
- Handheld or portable 3D scanners can be used to 3D scan small to very large pieces. Those 3D scanners can also be used to reach places that are difficult to access. The precision and the ability to capture color and texture will depend on the 3D scanner model.
3D body scanners
3D body scanners can be used in very various fields.
- Professionals: professionals might want to 3D scan a person to make a 3D figurine, prepare for a surgical intervention, etc.
- Individuals: 3D body scanners can be used to help with fitness goals and personal shape. Those 3D scanners usually can’t capture color and texture but have a high resolution.
Read our blog post to discover the 10 best 3d scanner in 2019 on the market.